Thursday, December 16, 2010

Life Goings On

Don't ever underestimate the awakening experienced when taking off your sunglasses after a long sunny day...



I'm interspersing a few photos from a trip to the Recoleta Cemetery as I provide a quick update on life since my last massive post. The Cemetary is arguably the most important museum and/or cultural landmark of Buenos Aires, and I'm grateful to walk by the darkly glowing magnificence of these modern sarcophaguses (sarcophagi?) almost every morning to get to my bus stop. Interesting note: many of the coffins in these grave edifices are above ground along with family members and possessions, though some have stairways underground. Walking through the great aisles of this institution feels a lot like strolling through a giant exhibit of Argentina's history and the historic personalities that must have inspired the most ornate tombstone tributes I've ever seen.



Got a couple of new gigs. Numero uno, prepping peeps for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. For those of you unfamiliar, it's a certificate that many universities and colleges in English-speaking countries require for admission. Most of my clients, however, are trying to achieve a certain high score for their future employers in the US or Canada. This job is so hot right now as my students are on summer/holiday vacation and willing to take classes at my apartment, so there's no commute for yours truly. I also got a new night student, a financial analyst at a huge international bank, whose office neighboring Luna Park has a breathtaking view of Puerto Madero and the east coast. Definitely an ideal location to end a long day.


Missing family, friends and the City of Angels heavy this holiday season as I continue to stream the Lakeshow on my PC (internet rules). Side note: really interested to see how critics stack up their best of 2010 lists for music as it has delivered one of the richest assortments in some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment